A brief academic history of Midnapore College
1834This Institution was started in 1834 as a private School.
1836ln 1836, it was made over to the Government with an accumulated Fund of Rs. 2000/- and in 1840 it was converted into Zilla School.
1873In 1873, an endowment of Rs. 60,000/-was made by the people of the district and handed over to the Govt, and in consideration of this the Government raised it to the status of a Second Grade College. Since Government orders of the 16th October, 1877, changing the nomenclature of Government schools it has been called the “Midnapore College” (C.U. Calendar, 1889, P. 260).
1887After this it had remained under the Government Control for about half a Century; the management of the College with its attached School was under a deed of agreement, transferred in 1887 to the Local Municipality, ‘not as a measure of economy but as a measure of promising useful political results’.
1923It continued under the management-of the Municipality till the 27th March, 1923, when it was taken back by the Government and placed under the control of the Governing Body with District Magistrate as its ex-officio President
1892The subjects in which the affiliation up to ‘A Standard’ were obtained being English, Vernacular (Bengali & Urdu), Persian, Sanskrit, Mathematics, History and Logic. In 1892; affiliation was obtained in law, but in 1916, B.L. courses were abolished though pleadership classes continued, which, however, was also discontinued after sometimes.
1916In 1916, the College was affiliated in science upto the Intermediate standard with the Subjects – English, Vernacular (Bengali and Urdu), Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry.
1922In July, 1922, it was raised to the status of a First Graduate College with affiliation upto B.Sc. standard with subjects – Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics, in view of the growing demand for Scientific Education and in accordance with the suggestions of the University Inspectors. Further extension of affiliation in two /Honours subjects, viz. Physics and Mathematics was granted in 1926. Teaching of Physics and Mathematics Honours subjects was kept in abeyance since 1929. In August, 1935, the Governing Body moved for the permission of the University for reopening the Honours classes in Mathematics though the teaching of Physics Honours was discontinued for a few more years.
1940In July, 1940, affiliation was obtained upto B.A. standard with the subjects- English (Pass), Bengali (Vernacular), Sanskrit, History, Philosophy (All Pass), Mathematics (Pass and Hons). Teaching in Philosophy was, however, kept in abeyance for the time-being. Further affiliation was obtained in Biology (1948), Bengali as Second Language, Economics Honours, Chemistry Honours, Military studies at the Intermediate stage (All in 1951), Commercial Arithmetic and Commercial Geography (Both in 1956).
1959In 1959, a commerce section was opened as a separate wing of the Parent College. A separate Commerce College was thereafter established in 1961 with Prof. B.K. Banerjee as its Principal. A separate Governing Body was also set up, through the classes were held in the same building. This arrangement was continued upto 1967 when the Commerce College was shifted to its present position and named as K.D. College of Commerce, now housed in a separate building a few hundred meters away at Khaprail (Corporal) Bazar.
1961In 1961, Economics and Political Sciences which were treated as one subject under the two years’ course, were bifurcated and existed into two separate subjects. Affiliation were obtained up to the Degree pass standard in :Botany, Zoology and afterwards in Physiology for the students who passed H.S. Examination in Science without Mathematics. The College obtained honours affiliation in English, History (Both in 1958), Philosophy (1959); Political Science (1961); Sanskrit, Bengali (Both in 1963), Botany (1964), Zoology (1968), Physiology (1969) from the University of Calcutta.
1967In 1967 Morning Section was added to the College for the fulfillment of higher education of increasing number of students.
1976In July, 1976, the Higher Secondary Unit with Arts and Science Stream and Pre-medical Course were introduced at the request of Education Department of the West Bengal.
2001In June, 2001, the College with its present status was transferred to the jurisdiction of Vidyasagar University by a notification issued by the Government of West Bengal.
2001Again in 2001 the college added another chapter to its activities of imparting education in Law Course which had been included in the curricular design before 1916 but discontinued for some reasons. It started a separate Law College in 2001 with the name Midnapore Law College with a separate management. It provided the Law College with its own Netaji Subhas Birth Centenary Academic Building to hold classes. Now this Law college is shifted to its own campus near Midnapore Railway Station.
1995Further extension of affiliation was granted in Statistics pass and Geography pass (Both in 1995), Geography Honours and Physical Education Pass (1996), Statistics Hons. and Computer Science Pass & Hons. (1998) by the present affiliating University.
2005In 2005 Honours affiliation was obtained in Sociology, Microbiology and Electronics in 2006 and in Education & Hindi in 2012. For its quality education, affiliation of Post Graduate courses in Physics (2004), Chemistry (2006), Mathematics, Zoology, Bengali & Sanskrit (2013) was granted to this college.
2015In 2015, post graduate courses has been introduced in another eight subjects.
Succession list of principals
- 1873 Mr. Gangadhar Acharyya
- 1884 Mr. Syamacharan Das
- 1892 Mr. Haricharan Roy, M.A.
- 1898 Mr. R. L. Maitra, M.A.
- 1911 Mr. W. K. Duthie, M.A.
- 1912 Mr. J.N. Hazra, M.A.
- 1923 Mr. Hemchandra Sanyal, M.Sc.
- 1930 Mr. Thako Pada Biswas, M.Sc, LL.B. (in Charge)
- 1933 Mr. K.C. Chakraborty, M.A.
- 1935 Mr. Sailendra Kisore Ghosh, M.A., LL.B. (in Charge)
- 1935 Mr. Bankim Das Banerjee, M.A.
- 1950 Mr. A. K. Mookherjee, M.A. (Oxon), M.A. (Cal)
- 1951 Mr. Haricharan Mukherjee, M.A. (in Charge)
- 1952 Col. Amaresh Ch. Chakraborty; M.Sc. (Cal), Tripos (Cambridge)
- 1957 Mr. Sunii Kr. Mitra (in Charge).
- 1957 Mr. Paresh Nath Ghosh, M.A.
- 1966 Mr. Manmatha Nath Sikdar, M.A. (in Charge.)
- 1966 Mr. Sunil Kr. Chaudhury, M.A., D.Phil
- 1969 Janab Syed Samsul Bari, M.Sc. (in Charge)
- 1970 Janab Syed Samsul Bari; M.Sc.
- 1981 Mr. Kalipada Jana, M.Sc. (in Charge)
- 1982 Mr. Mukul Ranjan Ray, M.A.
- 1984 Mr. Kalipada Jana, M.Sc. (in Charge)
- 1985 Mr. Sripati De, M.Sc.
- 1987 Mr. Mukul Ranjan Ray, M.A.
- 2001 Mr. Purnendu Kr. Ghosh, M.Sc., Ph.D. (in Charge)
- 2002 Mr. Prabir Kr. Chakrabarty, M.Sc., Ph.D.
- 2011 Mr. Sudindranath Bag, M.A., M.Phil. (in Charge)
- 2015- Dr. Gopal Chandra Bera, M.Sc, PhD
Achievements & Accreditation
- Midnapore college has been identified for “Colleges with Potential for Excellence” (CPE) for XI Plan (Phase-III) by University Grants Commission in 2010.
- The College has gained Autonomous status from University Grants Commission from 2014-2015 Session.
- The college is recognized by the University Grants Commission (UGC). In 2006 it was accredited by the National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC), and awarded A+ grade. In 2012, NAAC has re-accredited Grade A with 3.58 in a 4.00 CGPA Score.
- The College has been bestowed with Autonomous status by UGC in 2015 and consequently Midnapore College is continuing to provide education as an Autonomous College from 2015-16 Session.
- University of Calcutta, Calender 1889, p 260; 1906; 1937; 1952).
- "Nostalgia"-by Dr. Rabindranath Das (Associate Professor, Retd., Department of Chemistry, Midnapore College)
- Midnapore College receives autonomy:Times of India, Jan 27, 2014 (http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/home/education/news/Midnapore-College-receives-autonomy/articleshow/29454271.cms)